Today I am talking about some nutritional support I use. I use these especially during my training days. I am still a strong supporter of making your own food. Although, sometimes I need that extra boost during or after a workout. So I am sharing what works best for me.
- Nick Sticks by Wallace Farms
- They make 100% grass fed beef or free range turkey sticks. I personally get them both for my whole family. These are a must have in my home. They were my local farmer in Iowa, but since moving to Arizona I buy them online instead. You can too here. They carry original and spicy.
- They make a great nutritious snack, added protein in my kiddos lunch boxes, grab on the go, and a quick protein recovery after a workout. They are easy to throw into my kiddos sports bag too. A great thing is: No MSG. No Nitrates. No Antibiotics. No Hormones. No Sugar. No Red Dye. No Gluten. So all over clean eating snack stick. You can learn more about Wallace Farms and their Nick Sticks here.
- RX Bars are a whole food protein bar. Simple ingredient list with the core of it being Egg whites, Fruits, and Nuts. These are the bars I usually keep in my purse to have on hand. If my schedule gets crazy, I know I always have a great food option to snag. I take these on bike rides, while hiking, traveling, etc. I enjoyed a Blueberry Bar after my Sprint Triathlon too. You really can’t go wrong with these. My top flavors are: Chocolate Sea Salt, Blueberry, Maple Sea Salt, Mint Chocolate, and Pumpkin Spice. They usually have deals online and a monthly subscription. If you order by 11/11/16 you get 2 free bars of Peanut Butter in every order. I usually get mine at Trader Joe’s as they are only $1.99 a bar. The downside is they only carry Blueberry and Chocolate Coconut. They did carry Pumpkin Spice as a seasonal bar. They also stated they hope to carry more variety in Trader Joe’s in the future.
- Tailwind Nutrition – This is an endurance drink that focuses on compete energy, electrolytes, and hydration. I have been using this for a little over a month now, and LOVE everything about it. Even the hubs approves too. This is easy on the stomach causing no bloat or gassiness for me. Takes care of the headaches I was experiencing on my longer runs and provides me the extra endurance. There were times when I got to mile 6 and needed a pick me up. I no longer feel that way when using Tailwind. I actually feel like I have more energy and could keep running. I use this for my long bike rides, runs, and my long swim days. This is one I will stick by! I have been using more and more of this in my workouts. It mixes easily in my water container or I toss it in my running vest bladder. Cleans up easily with no film. They come in multiple flavors. You can get it with or without caffeine. They also have to go packets, but when I travel I put my individual servings in a ziplock bag. You can learn more about Tailwind here.
- Double Bonded Protein Powder by Mt Capra- Goats milk protein powder. I am sensitive to dairy so I have done a lot of researching and trials of protein powders. I always come back to this one. I like their vanilla best, but enjoy the Dark Chocolate. I tend to get the Dark Chocolate because it is cheaper on Amazon. It has a very faint goat milk taste. This protein powder is easy on my gut and goat milk usually is easier to digest. Since starting Tailwind Nutrition I don’t use this as often as I use to. This is strictly a protein powder not a meal replacement. According to Mt Capra: “Double Bonded Protein™ is an unrefined fusion of both casein (milk) protein and whey protein. The natural synergy between these two proteins is nothing short of miraculous! Whey protein triggers the formation of new muscle and casein (milk) protein inhibits the destruction of previously created muscle. Consume just one of these proteins and you will be missing out on the crucial benefits of the other. This is why 100% whey protein isolates consistently disappoint. The ability of whey protein to trigger new muscle growth is second to none, but when natural “proteolysis” (the breakdown of previously created muscle) begins, whey isolate has no defense. Enter casein. Casein inhibits proteolysis and keeps the muscle that you have worked so hard for, right where it needs to be; on you! Double Bonded Protein™ is just what you need to reach the next level of muscle gain.” You can read more about Mt Capra and their farming here
- Mt Capra protein powder, 2 tbsp coconut oil, half banana, 1tbsp of almond butter, and 2 tbsp of ground flaxseed. Add to either 8-10oz of almond milk, coconut water, or regular water. Blend in blender and ice and blend again.
- Mt Capra protein powder, 2tbsp coconut oil, organic frozen strawberries, and organic greens. Add 8-10oz of either water or almond milk. Blend in blender.
So there you have it, some of my top nutritional supplements. What are some of your favorites you keep on hand?